Safranhan, also known as ZAFRAN HAN or ZAĞFİRAN HAN, historic caravansary in Ankara’s district formerly called Atpazarı. Today it serves as an annex to the Ankara Rahmi M. Koç Museum located in Çengelhan.
Built in 1511 by Hacı İbrahim bin Hacı Mehmed, the 42-room, two story Safranhan with its arcaded courtyard is a fine example of classical Ottoman town caravansary. Restored on several occasions throughout its history, it has largely lost its original architectural characteristics. After the decline of the mohair trade in Ankara, it served first as a prison and later as a warehouse in the final years of the Ottoman Empire and the early Republic era. The first film screening in Ankara was held at this site.
Acquired in 2012 by the Rahmi M. Koç Museology and Culture Foundation, Safranhan was restored to its original plan and opened as an annex to the Ankara Rahmi M. Koç Museum in 2016. The courtyard, glazed over during restoration, now serves as an exhibition space.